This article is to guide a screen reader user through NovoEd’s navigation so that they may access the course content.
How to Install and Configure Chrome Vox:
- Install Chrome Vox (Screen Reader) for free.
- Click enter to access the following link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/screen-reader/kgejglhpjiefppelpmljglcjbhoiplfn?hl=en
- Customize and understand your key mappings by going to extension options to make sure Vox and your keyboard are configured. Assign keys to initiate ChromeVox commands and use heading shortcuts.
To Access a Course:
- Depending on how the course is set for learner discovery, log in to the platform through a specific course link.
- If you have landed on “My Dashboard”: Use the TAB key to jump on the first link: “Skip to Content” to skip all navigation and read the main content.
- Use the TAB key in the main content to see the list of available learning experiences to dive into and hit ENTER.
- If you have landed on your course, identified by the page title that matches with the course name: use the TAB key to jump on the first link, “Skip to Content,” to skip all navigation and read the main content.
- You will be landing on the course outline. You can read the outline or tab to find the “Resume Learning” or “Start Learning” buttons.
- LESSON CONTENT: “Start Learning” or “Resume Learning” takes you to a content page. The page title is the title of that lesson followed by the name of the course.
- Use the TAB key to “Skip to content” and start reading the lecture
- VIDEO: If you hear “watch for a video,” use TAB to go on the video player, use ENTER to start playing, use enter again to pause.
- QUIZ/SUBMIT: If you hear “Take quiz or submit,” use the TAB key as the screen is reading to enter form elements and select data.
- NEXT PAGE: To visit the next page, use the TAB key and tab until you land on NEXT followed by the page name. Click ENTER to navigate to the next page.
- PREVIOUS PAGE: To visit the previous page, use the TAB key and tab until you land on "Previous" followed by the page name. Click ENTER to navigate to the next page.