Course Admins can now insert dynamic fields into Automated Course Communications to personalize their messages to learners. These dynamic fields will be substituted by actual values on receiving the email and in the email preview. For example, inserting the First Name dynamic field into a course communication will place the learner’s first name in the message they receive.
Please note that this feature is currently limited to only Automated Course Communications and not available in any other areas of the NovoEd platform.
Dynamic Field Placeholder options include:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Course/Program Name
- Course/ Program Home
- Start Date, Release Date, End Date, Closing Date, Remaining days of access for limited enrollment courses
- Course dates
- Lesson release date
- Activity due date
- Live event start date
To Add a Dynamic Field Placeholder in Automated Course Communications:
- While creating/editing communications, click on the rich text editor (RTE) box.
- A menu will appear on the left side of the RTE box. Select the placeholder insert icon.
- An “Insert Dynamic Fields” window will appear. You can select the placeholder(s) you wish to insert into the RTE box. Select Done to load the placeholders in the RTE box. If preferred, placeholders can be copied and pasted into the Subject as well.
- Continue with your message and insert the dynamic field placeholders as needed. If you wish to review your message, you can move onto the next step and/or select the blue “Send a Test Email” link at the top-right corner of the screen. Review the Automated Course Communication process.
- If a valid value cannot be found for a dynamic field placeholder, it will be replaced by empty strings. For example, if a course does not have a set Course Closing Date and that dynamic field placeholder is selected, this will display as an error.
- If any portion of the dynamic field placeholder is deleted or changed, it will be displayed as plain text.
- The dynamic field placeholder can be formatted (bold, italicize, underlined, etc.).
- Upon cloning the communications, the tags will be cloned over and substituted with the values in the cloned course.
- Dynamic field placeholders cannot be inserted into push notifications.
- Dates and times will be displayed according to the user’s timezone preference and localized based on the course language settings by the Course Administrator.