There are two main benefits a NovoEd customer can experience by integrating with its learning management system:
- Discoverability of learning experiences they offer on NovoEd
- Tracking learner progress in the organization’s system of record
Most learning management system integrations involve an AICC package. AICC packages contain course metadata (course title, author, description, etc.) in a .zip file and can be downloaded for a customer’s NovoEd course. These packages can then be uploaded into a customer’s Learning Management System.
AICC is an LMS integration standard. It is not an authentication standard. This means that customers still need to pair AICC with SSO, or users have to maintain their own username and password to enroll in NovoEd courses. NovoEd strongly recommends that customers pair AICC with SSO at the same time.
NovoEd is AICC 4.0 compliant. For customers that leverage an LMS with lower versions of AICC (do not support AICC 4.0), NovoEd can offer support testing these integrations. However, this option may not work out of the box. The NovoEd technical support team can enable the AICC integration. Once enabled, the Org Admin will see the option to “Download AICC package” in the Org Admin Dashboard.
Different learning management systems have various ways of accepting an AICC package. NovoEd recommends that customers consult their learning management system for this upload. It is preferred that the AICC package is launched into a full browser window and NOT a pop-up or an IFrame. An AICC launch from the LMS involves several redirects that might get blocked if the launch is confined in a pop-up window or an iframe.
Here are the normal steps of an AICC launch and AICC completion report (keeping in mind some integrations are unique and require different steps):
- The user discovers a NovoEd experience on LMS.
- User clicks on launch.
- AICC launch takes the user to a NovoEd course landing page and asks them to log in. If the customer has SSO enabled, the SSO process will simply log the user in and redirect them to NovoEd.
- If Step 3 is successful, the user is enrolled in the learning experience, receives a welcome email from NovoEd, and can engage with learning.
- If the course defines completion criteria and the learner completes the learning, NovoEd will send the outcome of the learning back to the LMS through the parameters sent to NovoEd during the AICC launch.
- If the learning experience closes access to learners, NovoEd will send a completion event with the right status for whether the user has completed or not to the LMS as well.
An AICC launch from an LMS overwrites any course enrollment restrictions on NovoEd and gives the user complete provisioning controls to the LMS. For example, if a course is created with closed enrollment on NovoEd, learners will not be able to enroll unless it is through the AICC integration. When AICC integration is enabled, the NovoEd platform assumes that the user launching an AICC package from the LMS has been given access already, enrolls them, and allows them to enjoy the training.
When using an LMS and the AICC integration, the course MUST be a Production Offering AND the Registration type must be CLOSED ENROLLMENT [see screenshot below] on NovoEd to prevent any user from bypassing the AICC launch from the LMS. For example, if a customer has a course with the “open within organization” enrollment setting, a learner can forward the course link to another learner in your company and the new learner can enroll in the course without going through the AICC launch. As a result, the new learner’s completion data will not be recorded in the LMS. A course launch has to happen through the LMS for NovoEd to be able to send data back to the LMS after completion - this is the reason for the requirement to provision users on the LMS to access the course launch and use closed enrollment settings on NovoEd.
NovoEd strongly discourages customers from adding users manually to courses from the user management dashboard, as that interferes with an AICC launch and the data collection process.
When using an LMS and the AICC integration, the course MUST be a Production Offering AND the Registration type must be CLOSED ENROLLMENT.
How to Download AICC Packages from NovoEd
As an Org Admin:
What changes to the course affect the AICC package?
- Changes to catalog id or the completion criteria / maximum attainable points would require an update to the AICC package in the LMS.
How can learners, who were already enrolled before implementation, receive completion in the LMS?
When the AICC package is installed, the learner needs to launch the course one time through the LMS to send back completion. This can be the first time; however, they can launch anytime after the first time they enroll too and receive a AICC token to send back completion to the LMS.