NovoEd allows courses that are either available to the public or private to a select group of registrations. Public courses can be made free to any member of the public (MOOCs) or can require payment (SPOCs). Free public courses are usually used as a an educational public service and/or marketing. Paid public courses can be used for revenue-generation, including providing training across multiple different companies. Private courses on NovoEd can either be run as an online-only course or a blended course with in-person sessions. These private courses, whether only online or blended, can be contained within a single institution or organization, or can be given from an educational institution or training firm to another organization.
Public courses are ones in which anyone can register, whether or not it is free or paid.
Some considerations for public courses include:
- Do you want to charge for the course? If yes, how much?
- How do you plan to market the course?
Private online courses are courses in which a learner must receive an invitation to enroll or in which enrollment is restricted based on single sign-on permissions.
When putting together an online-only private course, you may want to consider:
- Who is the audience of the course?
- What are the expectations with regards to participation?
Private blended courses are courses that have both a face-to-face and an online component.
With blended courses some things to think about are:
- Which content and activities will occur online versus in person?
- How do you expect learners to engage with the online portion of the course?