Note: This article only applies to course-long teams with a team formation assignment.
Some assignments are completed individually, and some are completed as team assignments. Each team is given their own workspace where they can show their work and conversations.
The team profile page displays both the members of the team and their work, including team projects, and the team activity feed. Teams may access each other's completed work to create an engaged learning community created around sharing of and collaboration on projects.
Below you will find out different parts of the team formation process and which options there are. Some other useful resources relating to team formation are:
If teams are needed in the course you are taking, there will be an assignment for you to either create or join a team.
You can register yourself as a one-person team - if that is allowed in the course you are taking.
Creating a Team
If you are creating a team, you will automatically become the team lead. You can upload an image as the team profile picture, and decide on a name and a tag line.
Send an Invitation to a Peer
When you create a team, you will be the Team Lead. As Team Lead, you may invite new team members directly from the Team Workspace from the plus icon next to your avatar on the right. You can also use the plus icon to add members from the Team Profile.
Either option will lead you to the student directory where you can browse learners who don't have a team yet. We encourage team sizes of 6, but definitely work to find the best balance for your team dynamic.
Click on a learner to see their profile and learn more about them. If you decide you want to invite them to your team, click the "Invite to join your team" button beneath their avatar. If you find a learner without the invite button, they may be auditing the course.
Once you have clicked to invite them to your team, the icon will remain blue until your peer responds to the request. You can click the button again to cancel your invitation.
Your peer will receive a reminder on their course homepage and email invitation to join your team:
We also recommend the Community feature on NovoEd where you can search for peer learners by location, language, profile question responses, etc.
You can also post an invitation to join your team on the Discussion Forum.
Accept a Request From a Peer to Join Your Team
Once creating your team, you may also receive membership requests which you can manage through your notifications in the lefthand side menu.
Joining a Team
You can also choose to select the second option, "I will join a team" where you will be prompted to browse the full lists of available teams to join. More information here.
Having trouble forming a team?
- If you are unable to form a large team in time, do not worry. Even having one other peer learner will enhance your learning experience.
- If you can't find a peer learner in time or would prefer working alone, you can still participate in the assignments by going back to the Team Formation Assignment and creating your own team of one.
Having trouble accepting a request (or sending an invitation)?
- Is your peer already on another team? You can go to their profile and their team will display if they are on a team.
- Has your group reached the maximum size as set by course instructors? If you are unsure what the maximum size is, go to the group formation assignment which will specify a maximum size.
- Is your peer auditing the course? If they are, unfortunately they will not be able to join a team.