Note: This article only applies to course-long teams with a team formation assignment.
Starting a Team
1) Course-long teams are formed by completing the Team Formation Assignment, viewable on the Assignments tab of the course. (Note: Once a Team Formation Assignment is released, even after the deadline, you can still create a team)
2) Here, you may choose to create a new team or join an existing one.
When selecting "I will create my own team", you will be prompted to include your Team Name, Team Logo, and Tagline.
3) Once completed, your team workspace will launch and you are ready to invite learners to your team. There are a few ways to do so.
Joining a Team
You can also choose to select the second option, "I will join a team" where you will be prompted to browse the full lists of available teams to join. More information here
Send an Invitation to a Peer
- When you create a team, you will be the Team Lead. As Team Lead, you may browse the student list from the Community tab, filtering by "Search students who don't have teams." We encourage team sizes of 6, but definitely work to find the best balance for your team dynamic.
- If you find fellow participants with similar interests or areas of focus that you would like to invite - you may select the button on their profile inviting them to join your team.
The fellow learner will receive a reminder on their course homepage and email invitation to join your team:
Similarly, you may invite new team members directly from the Team Workspace from the gear icon in the top right.
Accept a Request From a Peer to Join Your Team
Once creating your team, you may also receive membership requests which you can also manage through the gear icon in the top right.
Having trouble forming a team?
- If you are unable to form a large team in time, do not worry. Even having one other peer learner will enhance your learning experience.
- If you can't find a peer learner in time or would prefer working alone, you can still participate in the assignments by going back to the Team Formation Assignment and creating your own team of one.
Having trouble accepting a request (or sending an invitation)?
- Is your peer already on another team? You can go to their profile and their team will display if they are on a team.
- Has your group reached the maximum size as set by course instructors? If you are unsure what the maximum size is, go to the group formation assignment which will specify a maximum size.
- Is your peer auditing the course? If they are, unfortunately they will not be able to join a team.