NovoEd's File-Based Human Capital Management, or HCM, integration enables clients to provide NovoEd with a CSV file in an SFTP location to sync user data from the HR system of record to NovoEd.
- Account Provisioning
The integration will provision a NovoEd account for any user within the HCM data that does not have one in NovoEd.
- Data Synchronization
Any changed data will be updated in NovoEd, ensuring account metadata within our learning platform reflects the user data from the HCM CSV file.
NovoEd Org Admins or Course Managers can enable the integration
- The integration must first be enabled by NovoEd Support. Please contact NovoEd Support at firstname.lastname@example.org and Cc: your Customer Success Manager. Please allow up to 5 business days for enablement.
- In NovoEd, Org-Level User Profile Fields must be configured in your institution. These profile fields will be mapped to the fields being sent in the single HCM CSV file. (Article: Org-Level User Profile)
- Fields should be configured as Short Text or Long Text
- Each field must be marked as Managed by CSV or Integration
- Individual fields can be marked as Hidden if they should not appear to learners in their profiles.
- Attributes that will be included in the CSV must be mapped to Org Profile Fields in NovoEd.
- The single CSV file must include first name, last name, email address, and External ID (if an External ID is being used via SSO).
- The CSV file names must always be unique and cannot contain spaces.
- To ensure file names are unique, we recommend appending the date/time stamp to represent when the file was created.
- Only one CSV file can be uploaded per day.
To Request a File-Based HCM Integration via SFTP
- The integration must first be enabled by NovoEd Support. An Org Admin can contact NovoEd Support at email@example.com and Cc: your Customer Success Manager to request that the HCM Integration is enabled. You will need to share your public key.
- The NovoEd Support Team will provide a Box folder so the public key can be uploaded (in text format). If you are unable to access Box, the Support Team is happy to work with your preferred secured filesharing method.
- The NovoEd Support Team will work with the NovoEd Engineering Team to provision an SFTP location for your organization.
- The NovoEd Support Team will confirm when the SFTP location has been provisioned.
- SFTP details will be available to Org Admins in the NovoEd platform in the Organization Admin Tools > Advanced Settings > HCM Integration section.
To Map Attributes to Org Profile Fields
- Log into NovoEd as an Org Admin.
- On the left-hand side, select the Admin Tools gear icon.
- Select Advanced Settings from the Org Admin Tools menu.
- In the HCM Integration section, refer to the statement, "If you want to download a template or upload a CSV click here." Click on the link.
- Select Download to download the CSV template. (Your Org-Level User Profile fields will be listed in the file.)
- Open the CSV and fill in the "Mapped Field" column with the matching field from the CSV file that will be delivered to the SFTP location. The listed Mapped Fields in Column C must be an exact match to the headers in the incoming CSV file.
- First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and External ID are required to be included in the CSV.
- If External ID is not used in your organization, it can be blank.
- Save the CSV file.
- In NovoEd > Org Admin Tools > Advanced Settings > HCM Integration, refer to the statement, "If you want to download a template or upload a CSV click here." Click on the link.
- Upload your CSV file.
Example of field mapping
After your CSV file has been placed into the SFTP location, NovoEd will run a nightly sync to read the file. Newly listed users will have NovoEd accounts provisioned, and any changed data for the mapped fields will be updated for users reflecting updates.
- What is the frequency of the sync?
The sync occurs daily at approximately 6:30 pm Pacific. This start time cannot be customized.
- How many files can be uploaded each day?
We expect only one CSV file to be uploaded to the SFTP location each day. Please ensure the name is unique (i.e. appended with a timestamp) and contains no spaces.
- Which fields are mandatory to be included in the CSV file delivered to the SFTP location?
The CSV file must include First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and External ID (if External ID is configured for SSO).
- What if my NovoEd institution uses SSO?
If using SSO and an External ID is configured, the External ID sent through SSO must match the External ID sent in the CSV file.
- What if the External ID attribute claim is named differently between my identity provider and the CSV file?
The names of the SSO attribute claim and CSV file's field used for the NovoEd External ID do not have to be the exact same name. However, the values being sent to NovoEd for each user must be the exact same values. In the HCM field mapping CSV, make sure to list the HCM CSV file's field in Column C.
SSO Attribute: EmployeeID (Value: 1234567)
HCM CSV Field: globalID (Value: 1234567)
NovoEd External ID: 1234567 <-- The value must be consistent.
- Are accounts only provisioned through NovoEd's file-based HCM integration?
No. Accounts can still be provisioned through SSO and enrollment by an admin in the NovoEd platform.
- Do all of my NovoEd Org Profile fields need to be mapped with fields in the custom HCM CSV file?
No. Unmapped fields will be skipped during the sync.
- Do all of the fields in my HCM CSV file need to be mapped to NovoEd Org Profile fields?
No. Unmapped fields will be skipped during the sync.
- What happens when a new user is included in the HCM CSV file?
A new NovoEd account will be created when there is no existing NovoEd account with a matching External ID (if configured for SSO) or email address (if an External ID is not configured for SSO).
- What happens when a NovoEd Org Profile field is deleted?
If a NovoEd Org Profile field is deleted, then it will be skipped during the sync.
- Why is there a profile field missing from my CSV template?
If there is a NovoEd Org-Level User Profile field missing from your CSV template, this indicates is not marked to be Managed by CSV or Integration. Visit the Org Admin Tools > Advanced Settings> Organization Profile section to configure the desired field as Managed by CSV or Integration. Then, download the CSV template again.
- Can updated profile data for users be uploaded via CSV?
Updated profile data for mapped profile fields can temporarily be uploaded directly into the NovoEd platform. However, the daily sync will overwrite any uploaded information. The HCM CSV file is the source of truth for mapped profile fields.